Friday, August 6, 2010

Spiritual Help is On the Way

Spiritual Help is on the Way / Steve Chan-
A small group ministries discernment team has been meeting to discuss and discern the purpose, need and the how-to of launching a new small groups ministry at CCUMC for the last several months. This new ministry is to help build, strengthen, nurture and grow each of us in our spiritual lives. To walk with God, we need to talk to Him. To do his will, we need to know his Word. Participating in a regular small group is designed to help build and strengthen our relationship with God and also to help build and strength our relationship with one another.
At this time, we are targeting the launch of new small groups in October. The first cycle will invite participation for 2½ months (October – mid-December.) The second cycle will convene from January to through the end of February. Small groups will meet weekly during those times. You are invited to begin praying about your participation. We hope that you will consider, intentionally, being a part of this new ministry.
I personally decided to get involved with the discernment team because I realized that I was not walking with God and very probably hiding from Him. Moreover, I was definitely not growing spiritually. I recognized this when I noticed that attending church and Sunday school had become a habit. It was a good habit, but one that did not produce any positive or measurable results. I didn’t love God any more because of it and I certainly didn’t love my neighbor any more. I now know that worshipping God on Sunday is not enough to carry me through this long journey. I seem to be stuck in the same rest station. I go ahead a little bit but always end up back at the same rest station. I have come to the realization that I need to know his Word more deeply in order to walk with Him and to do his Will. I also realize that I need the help and support of others in this journey. So please join me and others in this new possibility!
If you have any questions or would like to know more, please connect with me, Charlie or Pastor Emily. A questionnaire will be distributed soon to get your input. Please keep an eye out for that.