Sunday, November 18, 2012

Extravagant Generosity: Ed Lang and Laura Chan


Today we mark the 4rd Sunday in our Season of Generosity. During this season, we explore the path and practice of generosity and consider the call to extravagant generosity.  Together, we’ll wrestle with how our lives as disciples of Jesus are shaped and transformed through this practice and how we might live this practice out.  Each week, we will celebrate stories of generosity – both God’s and one another’s.  This week we lift up the sharing of Ed Lang and Laura Chan.

Ed Lang
“God so loved the world that he gave his only son to us.” John 3:16
God’s love is priceless! 
My giving is so little compared to what I have received from God. I will continue to give in whatever way God directs me. Stewardship and generosity is one of the ways that I can give.
I would like to express my testimony of the ways that God has helped me through out my life. God has always been generous to me. He watches over me all the time. He picks me up when I fall and encourages me when I feel discouraged. He gives me courage to face all problems without hesitation. He keeps me safe and in good health, I have had some life threatening situations throughout my life and He came to my rescue. He blessed me with a good wife (my partner) and a wonderful family. He forgave me of all my many transgressions; He gave me the hope of eternal life. God is always giving to me and I in return have given what little talent I have to serve. I try to treat everyone with love and respect and to have the courage to spread the good news of God. Try to love and forgive others, to help and pray for those in need. I am still a work in progress to do God’s work.

Choosing Love / Laura Chan 
Giving is an expression of my love for God as a response in realization of what He has done for me...freed me for eternal glory by the self sacrifice of His son Jesus.  God made the first move and waited for my response.  I find that God is gentle in his dealings with me showing me how I can return that love. Overcoming challenges to things that need to be transformed in my life, finance was one of them.  It started early in my faith journey as a youth...now it is a practice.
One can surely in theory say we believe in God but when not put into action, faith is dead.  We had 3 groups, faith, fellowship & action.  I had been exposed to Christianity & its teaching at VBS (Salvation Army) & Cameron House in SF as a child.  Amazing since my parents weren't Christians.  But it wasn't till I came to CCUMC's Methodist Youth Fellowship (MYF) and met Mrs. Wong that I finally got it.  The group I picked to be part of was faith, so that meant bible studies.  I noticed many of bible verses refer to giving and about tithing.
Should I take this step of faith?  Do I really trust God to provide for my needs?  By giving away the "first fruits of the harvest" I am saying that without God I would not have the harvest.  It is an acknowledgement that I trust God that He is in control of all...even to things I hold dear, $$$.  Perhaps it was by watching my mother when visitors came during CNY with goodies. They never went home without something in return. And I can admit that I did not grow up in middle class household.  As a tangible sign of love she gave back something tangible.  I saw and developed an attitude of gratitude.  It was a step by step process for me in the beginning, testing & tasting that the Lord is good and I was not worst off.  Then I was "all in" becoming more serious & consistent.  It is a powerful feeling of joy & accomplishment knowing I had this one area of faith fulfilled. Being able to return to God what is His is one of the ways of showing God I love Him and that He is in control.
I see for some life can be become difficult in a flash, beyond their control.  The recent Sandy storm that affected so many in New York & New Jersey, one day they were living in a relatively comfortable lifestyle with a roof over their head, food in the pantry & fridge, a warm shelter to come home to and electricity to see at night.  In the beginning, the news showed people in distress & despair wondering where their help would come from as their lives were turned upside down and many losing their home and belongings with flooding.  Their faces said it all & I cannot imagine what that would be like.  But more recently I hear stories of generosity where people from New Orleans were there to reciprocate the help they received from all over the US.  A busload of church people drove from S Carolina to help homeowners remove their damaged walls to start the rebuilding.  The despair turned into hope.  While I cannot be there with helping hands, I can donate our money to provide for the temporary shelters, food, clothing, and personnel to provide help that is there on the ground.  I can be a witness with giving so that God can use that to comfort and provide what is truly needed.  I cannot fathom the devastation and why it happened but I can act in compassionate by giving of our abundance and being Jesus with hands.
Here it is stewardship month and we are talking about extravagant generosity.  I pray that we as individuals and as a church we trust God in this area and I know He will return the love.