Sunday, January 6, 2013

Epiphany Reflection by Becky Wong

The Sunday before Thanksgiving, an unusual request came to our congregation: Clarence, director of Asian Health Services had mentioned to Pastor Emily that one of his staff members needed a car. It was a mother with three children whose car had been totaled in an accident, and she was left without basic transportation and a budget that did not allow for buying a car at the time. Pastor had no idea how our congregation could respond, but she was first to offer some cash, and others followed suit.

I pondered what I could do. My well-used 1995 car had 225,000 miles on it, but it was still running fairly well, and we had recently spent $1,000 to put it in decent condition to pass the bi-annual smog test. My goal had been to run it "into the ground", although I'll admit I would periodically peruse the car ads to see if something would suit my desire to get a "green" model. I refused to buy anything that wouldn't get at least 50mpg because I felt the car industry was on the cusp of coming out with hybrids or electric models that could easily double today's mileage. By passing the smog test, I was granted 2 more years to wait for the car that would probably be my last new car purchase. I reasoned that if my '95 gave out sooner than expected, I could always share Al's van temporarily. And we live so near BART that I can easily get around using public transportation some of the time.

When Pastor Emily made the request to the congregation, I immediately felt called to respond and give up my car earlier than intended. After all, if I was ready in an emergency to share our remaining car anyway, why not now? I thought back to the days when I struggled in the cold mornings to get three children taken care of before heading off to work. Surely this lady needed a car more than I. I told Pastor Emily of my willingness, and arrangements were made to "loan" the car.

I have to admit that right after voicing the offer, I began to have a few misgivings. What have I done? Would I miss my "old clunker", which I had become attached to, but would no longer be available at a moment's notice? We had never been a one-car family before...could we suddenly change? Had I been rash in making this decision so hastily?

A month has gone by, and I'll admit that there were a few times when it was inconvenient not to have my own car. But for the most part, I didn't think about missing it anymore. In fact, my decision was confirmed by my two sons, who both said we shouldn't need two cars now that we are both retired.

During Epiphany, we remember the wise men coming to worship the baby Jesus, and leaving by another route...changed forever by witnessing the miracle of the holy infant. I ask myself, how am I changed by the experience of the overwhelming love of God shed in my life through the gift of Jesus, the Christ? Maybe giving up a car was just a small beginning. Where else might God be calling me to give to others, just as I have been given this most precious gift of God's love? I invite you, my brothers and sisters, to be looking and listening for ways which you might, like the magi, "take another route", do something outside of your normal routine, and make a change in your living that leads you reflect and radiate the light of God's love to others.