Sunday, April 14, 2013

Living the Resurrection - Donna Chan Chu


What does it mean to not just believe in resurrection…but actually to live it…to practice it?! We celebrate resurrection each Easter Sunday…but what about all the other days of our lives? These are the questions we are exploring during the Eastertide Season which carries us from Easter Sunday to Pentecost Sunday! Members of the congregation have been invited to share their thoughts and experiences about resurrection and how they have attempted to live it. This week’s faith sharer is Donna Chan Chu!

I remember as a kid being asked, “What does Easter mean to me?” And without missing a beat I said, “Getting up early to go eat pancakes at the park.”

And what is this whole thing about being called, “Easter People?” Do we find more decorated eggs than non-Christians? Does the bunny give us bigger baskets?

Easter and being Easter People all has to do with living a resurrection life. In Romans 8:15-17, the Message says, “This resurrection life you received from God is not a timid, grave-tending life. It’s adventurously expectant, greeting God with a childlike “What’s next, Papa?” God’s Spirit touches our spirits and
confirms who we really are. We know who he is, and we know who we are: Father and children. And we know we are going to get what’s coming to us - an unbelievable inheritance!”

In my old life I would leave God out of it and even think to not complicate things with a lot of godtalk. Now I try really hard not to depersonalize God into godtalk, but to have God as a personal presence alive in my daily living.

“I’ll never know how much it costs to see my sins upon the cross” is a song that always brings me to tears, but God doesn’t want me to stay at the cross. He wants me to suck it up and live this adventurous life. How exciting it is to be a child, with my eyes wide open to what my Father has in store for me. Whether
it is reading His word, giving it up to Him knowing that whatever it is He will hold my hand through it, serving and loving others.

I love the whole idea of being a child, which means that everything is new and that I am learning something new.

On Easter I still get up early and go to the park for pancakes, but that isn’t Easter. Easter is the new life I have because Jesus Christ is alive!