Sunday, January 1, 2017

Happy, Happy New Year!

We step into a brand new calendar year today.
As we do so, I invite you to be intentional – intentional about noticing all the ways God is already present in your life, intentional about allowing your deepest longings for God to surface and be named, intentional about your relationships and priorities, intentional about your time and the way you use your gifts, intentional about staying connected to joy and hope.
My prayer for the year ahead for each of us – individually and collectively – is that we experience a revival of God in our midst, and that we discern with a united clarity the ways that God is calling us into the future. Will you join in me in this prayer?

Grace & Peace,
Emily

Spiritually Literate New Year’s Resolutions

Revs. Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat

  • I will live in the present moment. I will not obsess about the past or worry about the future.
  • I will cultivate the art of making connections. I will pay attention to how my life is intimately related to all life on the planet.
  • I will be thankful for all the blessings in my life. I will spell out my days with a grammar of gratitude.
  • I will practice hospitality in a world where too often strangers are feared, enemies are hated, and the "other" is shunned. I will welcome guests and alien ideas with graciousness.
  • I will seek liberty and justice for all. I will work for a free and a fair world.
  • I will add to the planet's fund of good will by practicing little acts of kindness, brief words of encouragement, and manifold expressions of courtesy.
  • I will cultivate the skill of deep listening. I will remember that all things in the world want to be heard, as do the many voices inside me.
  • I will practice reverence for life by seeing the sacred in, with, and under all things of the world.
  • I will give up trying to hide, deny, or escape from my imperfections. I will listen to what my shadow side has to say to me.
  • I will be willing to learn from the spiritual teachers all around me, however unlikely or unlike me they may be.