Thursday, November 25, 2010

Is Stewardship JUST About Money?

When a church leader says she is going to talk about stewardship the church automatically expects that the preacher is going to talk about giving and tithing. Unfortunately, we do a disservice to our churches when we think that stewardship and giving money are synonymous terms. Stewardship includes giving, but is not defined only by giving. Stewardship has a much broader definition that if properly understood would help us give more glory to God.

I like the stewardship definition given by Kenneth Boa in his book Conformed to His Image. Boa observes:

…. we own nothing, and we are not here on our business. As stewards, we manage the possessions of Another; as ambassadors, we manage the affairs of Another. The King owns everything, and we are on his business to serve and represent him in the world.

A steward, thus, is one who has been entrusted with something. Anything we have received from God we are expected to properly utilize, manage, and multiply. Stewardship (οἰκονόμος) is a criteria used to establish the effectiveness of God’s servants. God simply asks, was our use of the gift faithful or faithless?
Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms. (1 Peter 4:10 NIV) The goal of stewardship is to act in a way that is consistent with how God would act were God the one who was in possession of the same items.

What does God entrust to us with which we can be good stewards?
• Time
• Family
• Opportunities
• Money
• Relationships
• Resources
• Gifts
• Environment
• Employment
• Networks

This week, consider praying this personal stewardship prayer:

Loving God, I come to you in thanksgiving, knowing that all I am and all that I have is a gift from you. In faith and love, help me to do your will. I am listening, Lord God. Speak your words into the depth of my soul, that I may hear you clearly. I offer to you this day all the facets of my life, whether it be at home,
at work, or at school—to be patient, to be merciful, to be generous, to be holy. Give me the wisdom and insight to understand your will for me and the fervor to fulfill my good intentions. I offer my gifts of time, talent and possessions to you as a true act of faith, to reflect my love for you and my neighbor. Help me to reach out to others as you my God have reached out to me. Amen.

From: www.moneyhelpforchristians.com