Sunday, November 6, 2011

Treasures of the Transformed Life Stewardship Series

Week Four:  Pennies in the Fountain
We are in the midst of a six week congregational study that promises to support us in identifying our thirst for more and to show us how to experience more as we take hold of the freedom, promise, and rewards that come with committing ourselves to a closer relationship with God through the treasures of prayer, presence, gifts, and service.  This week, Laura Chan reflects on the practice of financial giving.


It was at MYF (Methodist Youth Fellowship) where Mrs. Wong, our youth leader, would challenge us.  One of the first things she taught us was about how our new faith would manifest in how we view or handle our money.  It is not "ours" to do with as we please, Mrs. Wong taught, but what we have is given to us by God.  As I grew in Christ, I've learned through scripture the many references to money, tithing and offerings.  I’ve learned that the love of money can keep us from a closer relationship with God.  When we surrender to Him and give Him our "first fruits" we are not only acknowledging that relationship but witnessing to others where our loyalty lies. 

Who do we love more, God or Mammon (Matt 6:24)?  I believe God is a jealous God who wants our serious commitment.  It is the one-on-one from God that only we can answer.  No excuses or reasoning will suffice and doing less will fall short of His expectations.  Remember what Jesus told His disciples after the rich young man asked Him "What do I still lack?”  Jesus said "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than a rich man to enter the kingdom of God” (Matt 19:24).   


These were challenges that I faced early in my walk with Christ.  For me it became basic and elementary to my faith - if I couldn’t give up my "treasures" (at that time, I had no permanent full time job but an allowance that my father gave me for helping in his kitchen at Harrington's Bar in SF on Saturdays), then what kind of faith did I have?  It wasn't preached much about in church.  But at various retreats outside of church, the message would hit me like a bulls’ eye.  Maybe it's because I was better in math than science or English in school but it definitely spoke to me.  So I had to test it out.  "Taste and see that the Lord is good" (Psalm 34:8)...I wanted God's goodness.  One week in the offering plate, I put in my whole week's allowance.  Nothing major happened but I realized that I was none the worst for the wear.  In fact, it felt satisfying and right.  However further study does not say that this challenge only applies to certain believers but to all who call Him Lord.  "We tithe because we're commanded to, plain & simple." (ToTL, pg 211).   Surely if we say we trust God, we can certainly trust Him in this area of our lives. 

Back then, I studied a Bible correspondence course and this topic was covered.  I remember it stated that God ask for the tithe which is 10% of our income - in Biblical days, 10% of their crops.  Why 10%?  We don't know other than that is what God had said many times in scripture.  According to that bible correspondence lesson, God controls the world and what we don't give back to Him He takes back from the earth in form of nature through earthquakes,

floods, hurricanes etc.  Don't know how they can prove it scientifically but isn't it strange how with our increasingly selfish world there have been higher incidents of these natural disasters? 

In the early years of our marriage, Steve and I committed to tithing although there were times when we could have used that money for our growing family or we just plain mishandled some of it.  Yet, Praise the Lord, we never found ourselves to be truly lacking, just needing to review our priorities. 

We attended Dr. Chuck’s recent series and last week his talk was titled  "The Life and Ministry of the Local Congregation."  It was open to questions and small group discussions.  The various churches represented talked about the issues that are challenges for their church vitality.   Besides the lack of young people or being an aging congregation, budget issues or rather lack of funds were also mentioned .  The host church in Berkeley noted that they get visitors from UC.  "Should we ask the young people who have financial limits to donate...or rather consider their service instead?" they asked.  Rev Chuck responded by saying that even if it's a quarter they should give it.  It is a matter of releasing the money and important to their spiritual growth and habit, the symbolic representation of who is Lord.  He said he would not attend a church that does not need him in presence, service and money.  Pastors should not be afraid to teach that...it's in the Bible after all.  I have to agree, where we put our money is where our treasure is.

Are we ready to be transformed?