Sunday, November 13, 2011

Treasures of the Transformed Life Stewardship Series

Week Five:  Offering a Drink to Others
We are in the midst of a six week congregational study that promises to support us in identifying our thirst for more and to show us how to experience more as we take hold of the freedom, promise, and rewards that come with committing ourselves to a closer relationship with God through the treasures of prayer, presence, gifts, and service.  This week, Frances Fong reflects on the practice of service.


I started coming to CCUMC when I was in grade school and have stayed with CCUMC all these years.  Reflecting back through the years, I could see that many of our programs and activities have changed to adapt to our changing needs and lifestyles and to that of the community we serve.  For 124+ years, CCUMC continues to be a vital part of Oakland’s Chinatown because of the SERVICE by its members.  By our SERVICE, we give back to CCUMC and to the community, but foremost, to God, who calls us to give of ourselves in doing His work. 
Reflecting on my service at CCUMC, back then, there were limited after school programs and activities, thus church on Sunday and the activities the church offered were the things to do.  I attended Sunday school, and it was expected that one day we would take on teaching Sunday school, which many of us took on the task without question.  Sunday school was taught as we observed those before us.  I recall that I was excited and at the same time a bit nervous being a Sunday school teacher, many times feeling inadequate and not qualified.  Thinking about this now, in my inadequacy, God was with me and He must have placed me in that role for a reason, gently guiding and helping me.  He helped me to sow the seeds for His kingdom. 
In my earlier adult years, I was asked to serve as recording secretary on the Council on Ministries and the Administrative Board.  I felt good at being asked to take on such an important role at the time, not knowing that this required paying close attention at meetings so that important discussions will be documented.  I recall the monthly meetings were especially trying, having to transcribe my scribbles to official minutes to be passed out at the next meetings.  Knowing that I was doing God’s work helped me to do the best job I could.   
I have also served as United Methodist Women (UMW) President and Missions Chair, then as Evangelism Chair, Bazaar Chair, and as lay member to Annual Conference.  Looking back now, I must have had more energy than I thought; however, it must have been the excitement that God instilled in me to keep serving with passion and diligence.  With the support of the pastor, committee members, and congregation, we all learned, experienced, and worked together.  Many times I was allowed the freedom to envision and suggest programs and events that have not been tried before.  We had our first Women’s Retreat together with the Lake Merritt UMW with an overnight at an off site location and with guess speaker.  We had several missions programs where we learned about a featured country; together with dinner, sampling foods from that country; learning a bit about that country’s culture by its music, crafts, etc.; and having a guest speaker.  At that time, we thought of missions as what we read about, never thinking that any of our members would some day venture out as missionaries, as to Uganda.  As a congregation and with invited friends, we learned together to make joong.  Participating together in this fun activity, yet hard work, we felt we made the best “Methodist” joong in town.  Carrying on the traditions of our Annual Bazaar, we continued to involve the whole church, reaching out to the community with open doors, and at the same time having fun (though it was said that we never raised enough monies to equal our hard work and efforts.)  As lay member to Annual Conference, I learned about church politics and participated in the celebrations when Methodists gathered together.  It was a refreshing and new learning experience, meeting so many leaders and lay people from our local churches, district, and conference.  From all these experiences, I could sense that God must have had a hand in the planning and outcome.

My last undertaking was that of Church Treasurer, not because of financial training or background but because I worked at a savings and loan at the time.  Being part of the Finance Team and part of BOAT, I learned the importance of finance in supporting the church in furthering God’s work in our midst and in the community.  Looking back now, coming down to church for several hours on most Saturdays was a commitment and dedication in following through on God’s calling.  With the support of the pastor, and those on the finance team, this was an important responsibility and a very interesting and challenging learning experience in church finance.

Finding that devoting so much time to church work and neglecting work at home and because of time constraints and fatigue, I felt a need to better balance my life, something the church has been very respectful of.  The recent space has allowed me to recharge and to pick and choose what I had time to participate in.  I also believe that freeing up long held positions allow opportunities for others to experience God at work in their lives and in the church.  This time of rest has allowed me to participate without stress in being greeter; taking part in worship, hospitality, adult Sunday school, and small groups; and participating in events where there is a need for a presence of volunteers. 

When we look around the church, there is ample work that can fit anyone’s passions, interests, talents, skills, or needs.   From my experience, if we allow ourselves to be open and receptive to the nudge, calling, tap on the shoulder, or whatever form the SERVICE may reveal, and then saying YES to God – I assure you that you will not be disappointed and you will experience God’s fulfilling love, joy, peace, and blessings.