Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Practice of Encountering Others: Building Community through Covenant, Commitment, and Companionship


By Richard Fong


We are well into the Lenten season and the forty days have dwindled down to twenty two days.  Lent has been a special season for me, my family and many of my friends for many years.  It calls for the invitation to listen and pay attention to the many ways we are called to GOD.  It starts on Ash Wednesday and ends on Easter Day.  Active participation requires commitment, the special quality with which friendships, business ventures, volunteering or even partnerships require.  Many of us have committed to various issues, giving up things, intentionally serving others, strengthening and enlivening our spiritual life, acts of generosity and mostly serving GOD.


Sometimes I ask myself.   Do you fully understand the many commitments, the covenants or the promises?  It is not like you do it one way one day and the next day,  it is ok not to follow the promise.  The tests seem to be always knocking on the door.  Through rough times or simple tests,  your steadfastness must endure the many temptations.  We stay the course and make the adjustments to enable our selves to meet the challenges.  My covenant with GOD is eternal, not just when I am reminded of it or during a season. It is because, he is always there for me and the ones whom I love.  Now that I am retired and have many freedoms to do as I please, I choose to remain in the service of the community and GOD.  I am not tired of the hours or the days.  I am strengthened, happy and full of energy for the opportunity and ability to serve.


I am blessed to have a wife and family that support me and are there for me 24/7.  Volunteering has been what keeps me going.  It is a passion that provides me with energy and satisfaction.  Sometimes I wonder how I will juggle the same times for meetings and events. Other times it is one event to another and another.   Likewise, the opportunities and challenges here at CCUMC are many. Everywhere, there is a need to participate or nurture, to volunteer or provide, to educate or understand, to serve or  to forgive.   My experiences are wonderful  and spiritually rewarding.   To experience others searching for more answers as they pursue their walk with GOD. I am happy to hear the laughing and see the smiles on the faces of the children in the “After School” program.  I am happy to watch and hear the youth in Sunday school talk about the need to learn more about GOD. I am happy to witness every pew being  blessed with someone sitting in it on Sunday morning, and is again, searching  for more understanding at their small group. I am happy to see the enthusiasm in the programs, missions and ministries. I am fascinated by the many gifts and graces our Pastor brings to CCUMC. We are blessed by all the members working to unite, as we transform as a living church and growing church.   I am excited to be a part of CCUMC and I look forward to our Pastor’s sermons, as she helps us open many doors for our spiritual lives.    GOD Bless…