Sunday, October 28, 2012

Extravagant Generosity - Arlene Lang

CCUMC’s Stewardship Season begins today. Together, we will explore the path and practice of generosity, extravagant generosity to be exact. Together, we’ll wrestle with how our lives as disciples of Jesus are shaped and transformed through this practice and how we might live this practice out. Each week, we will celebrate stories of generosity – both God’s and one another’s.


Today, we lift up the sharing of Arlene Lang.

What do you love about your church? When Pastor Emily asked to reflect on this question, I thought this could be an easy answer. Then I thought “what does she mean”?

As I walk into church on Sundays I just do it on auto pilot. Then I started thinking what do I see, what do I feel when I walk in? I started looking around, started really observing more things, really looking at who I was looking at. This is what I found.

I really love this church! First of all I enjoy the family relationships that we extend to one another and the support that each person gives on a personal basis. It’s like a family reunion every Sunday.

Then I started looking around at the architecture. The moon gate is so well known in Chinatown. The tile roof above gives us the feeling of entering into a special place and the sound of the water from the fish pond adds to it. Once into the sanctuary you sit down and you see the beautiful tile cross with the light coming through, telling you to let the light of God be with you.

You look around and see all the beautiful wall hangings that have been made with such loving hands. When you enter into the hospitality room it’s like entering a family room with its large fire place. Another example, when you walk into the kitchen doesn’t it feel like your walking into your own kitchen?

We are a small intimate church with a mighty spirit.

I’m glad that I can give back to our church. Giving time as Church Treasurer has been a rewarding service. I’ve always liked working with numbers and it reflects back to my bookkeeping days. It’s been a delightful experience, getting to know those involved in finance, BOAT, YVCM, Sunday School and our Union City small group. It hasn’t always been this way but I’m glad to be back. Thanks to Pastor Emily for rejuvenating my spirit and to my son Derek for always being an inspiration. I am blessed!