Sunday, October 21, 2012

Kairos: Palestine Reflections


In September, we kicked off a new Christian Education season with an exciting adult Sunday School class, “Kairos: Palestine.”  The class was taught by José Arcellana, a member of Buena Vista UMC, our sister circuit church.  For many, we know very little about what is happening in Palestine/Israel except that there is an ongoing conflict.  The series was an opportunity not only to learn about the land of Jesus’ birth and ministry, but also to reflect on the situation with and through our faith.  The final class was today and there are many opportunities to continue learning about and getting involved with the issues. We give great thanks to José and all who participated in the class.

Here are reflections that came out of the class from Ben, Donna, and Burt.

What is something new you learned from being a part of this class?
Ben - I learned that Israel's borders are not clearly defined, which leads to disagreement over ownership of the land.
Donna - Before I believed that since Palestine and Israel are so far away, that what was happening there really didn't interest or concern me. But after being in the class, reading "Kairos Palestine" and the brief history of Palestine materials, seeing the DVD, and listening to Jose, I found that my eyes are now opened to the facts of how and why the Occupation happened and what continues to happen to this day.
Burt - One of the first things that hit me the hardest was that I did not have the slightest idea of what was really happening in this region of our world. I had not a context in which I could interpret or understand what the issues were and continue to be. I need to commit to further study of those conditions which our Christian Palestinian brothers and sister are struggling and suffering with daily.

How did this class impact or challenge your faith:
Ben - When I saw people in extreme oppression, in an enormously complex situation, still able to trust and hope in the Lord, it made my faith seem pretty small.  I don't know if I will face such a challenge, but now I know there are models for faith and hope that I can aspire to.
Donna - Knowing that the Palestinian people are inhumanly treated yet they remain there and stay strong in their faith has challenged my own faith. I ask myself these questions, "Am I willing to recognize someone who mistreats me, as a child of God, as my brother or my sister?" "Am I able to love my enemy?"
Burt - The current situation is quite frightening as I learn that our Christian Palestinian sisters and brothers are faced with untold hardships and constant threats of demolition of their houses and eventually being forced to flee with nothing more than what they can carry in their hands. I do not live under such frightening circumstances. I need to stand by their side and support them in their struggles.

What insight/inspiration/learning will you take away from this class?
Ben - The class continues to enlarge my perspective on the world, which I largely don't know much about.  I have a lot to learn!  Particularly about how much of the world struggles, and I have no reference point that even comes close to understanding it.
Donna - I am inspired by the writing of "A moment of truth" by Christians in Palestine. There is hope, there is faith and there is love which the writers documented by scripture. If hope, faith and love can be found in Palestine, then surely they can be found in the streets of East Oakland, in the graffiti taggers, in the ones who prey on seniors and in me.
Burt - Just as I experienced in my mission trip to the Philippines in July, 2008, I also believe that in order for me to thoroughly comprehend the current realities affecting the Christian Palestinians, I need to plant my feet in their pathways, and to hear their stories first hand. It is only by personally being there that we can build relationships grounded in God’s peace and grace.


Adult Sunday School is a rich time of learning and growing!  You are invited and encouraged to attend.  You will be transformed.