Sunday, June 9, 2013

A Summer Invitation: Extraordinary Communication!

In Sunday School last week, we looked at some familiar verses in the Bible. We discussed which is the most challenging to live by, which is the most convicting, and which would be the most transformative for the Christian community. The verses focused on things like anger, our tongue’s power, love, and judgment.

For me, these verses ring SO true. By that I mean they call for me to live by them, though I am far from being completely successful. Just like some music you just want to sing it, play it or hum it. And then there are a few that you wish you can really sing, at the top of your voice. But you can’t. Similarly for these Bible verses, it is so easy to tell myself I really want to practice them, but I find I can’t.

Bible verses can be haunting, though; they sort of don’t want to let go of you. So for decades, I’ve kept these verses in the back of my mind. I’ve tried here and there to live them out, but I have not found THE practice that worked for me. Never found the right music teacher, so to speak.

UNTIL NOW. Maybe it took a Pope to open my eyes recently when Pope Francis announced(1) that we can all do good, Christians and non-Christians alike. I am convinced that this practice from beyond the Christian community may actually help me be a better Christian.

With his Non-Violent Communication (NVC) process, Marshall Rosenberg teaches a communication method that strips away all the added language and culture that separates us from the time of Jesus, and really gets us back to the basics of honest, and authentic communication. Words do matter, as we know His Words matters. Therefore, ours do too.

Through the course of this summer, we want to practice being a community and learn a skill that should help draw us together – to better help one another, build our community, and also help ourselves in our individual faith journeys. Six Wednesday evening workshops are planned – starting July 10th though August 21st, with a break for the YCVM dinner week.

As a community of Jesus followers, we can learn and help each other strip away some of the timber in each of our own eyes, practice not to judge, and maybe even learn to love our enemies a little(2).

This will be just a start, but this course will be a big step for all of us. But you are needed in the 6 workshops. I’ve read the book – it is one thing to read something, but another to practice and really GET IT. For that we need community – that is you!

*Wednesday NVC Small Group meets for 6 weeks beginning July 10th—Aug. 21st. We will meet from 6:00 – 8:30 p.m. and begin with a simple dinner. Please pitch in $3-5 to cover the cost of dinner. If you have additional questions, please connect with Charlie or Pastor Emily. Charlie Ho serves as the chair of the Congregational Nurture &Development ministry area. This ministry area seeks to bring relevant, transformative learning and growing opportunities to the community as well as enable us to build strong, healthy relationships with one another.

Notes: 1. “If we, each doing our own part, if we do good to others, if we meet there, doing good, and we go slowly, gently, little by little, we will make that culture of encounter: we need that so much. We must meet one another doing good. ‘But I don’t believe, Father, I am an atheist!’ But do good: we will meet one another there.” From Pope Francis’ May 22, 2013 homily.
2. Luke 6:27,38-38,41-42.