Sunday, June 16, 2013

In Honor of Fathers by Peggy Woon

Three Sundays ago, Pastor Emily’s dad was in town for a visit. It stuck in my mind that when she introduced him, she credited him for being the impetus for her work in social justice. It got me thinking about what I learned from my father.

When I think about my Dad, I credit him with how I eat. I remember reaching for the tastiest morsels on the other side of the serving dish and having my knuckles rapped by his chopsticks. My dad admonished me to pick the food closest to me, because going after the choicest piece was selfish. This may seem a trivial lesson, but what I learned from this extended to how I lived my life outside of my eating habits. To me, this is the same as allowing someone to go ahead of me at the grocery check out line or giving Larry control of the TV remote.

I am sure that our heavenly Father should also be credited for the life I lead. I have, afterall, consciously given my life over to God many times. You might think that you only have to give your life over to God ONCE and you’re done. Somehow, that’s not how it’s been for me.

As long as I can remember, I’ve encountered challenges where I’ve asked God, “Take my life Lord, Thy Will be Done.” Sometimes I’d feel like I’m leading a life that is pleasing to Him; but then at other times, I’d think, “Thanks for the tip, God; but that’s too much work. I think I’ll do this my way.”

However, I’ve learned that our heavenly Father is a patient, forgiving, and loving God, and I’m thankful that for as many times as I turn away from Him, He is FOREVER welcoming me back into His fold. That’s also why I know that when I’m at my next crossroad where I don’t know what to do, I can find peace by asking God, “Take my life Lord. Thy Will be Done.”