Sunday, September 1, 2013

And.....I'm Off!

Dear Beloved Community –

It is with much anticipation that I begin my renewal leave tomorrow, Sept. 2nd. I will be away from CCUMC for 3 months and return on Nov. 29th. I give great thanks for the generosity of the church for allowing me this time to rest, to reconnect with family and friends, to renew my spirit and listen again for God’s call on my life. What a gift! I am incredibly grateful.

Many people have asked me what I will do during this time and whether I will be in the area. There is so much I want to do: learn the ukulele, hike the trails all over the Bay, visit my family in New York and Chicago, move into our newly renovated house, take weekend trips, connect with a spiritual director, go on retreat, and more. I will be both travelling and staying put.

CCUMC has always had strong lay leaders. This is one of the amazing assets of this church. During my renewal leave, you can be assured that this community will stand together, pitch in wherever needed, and that all will run smoothly. And should there be bumps along the way, we can get through it together. Here are a few connections that I think will be important:

  • For all pastoral care issues and needs, please connect with Jane (janepyin@gmail.com / 510.582.4368) and Aeri (aeriaeri@yahoo.com / 408.499.7779). We also give thanks to our caring shepherds: Jane, Donna, Ed, and Brenda who can offer presence and accompaniment. Finally, we have a great team of clergy colleagues on standby ready to respond to and address any issue that may arise.
  • For all ministry related queries and concerns, please contact our co-Lay Leaders, Becky (rebeccawong8@gmail.com / 510.889.8509) and Steve (chanfam6@gmail.com / 925.937.9618). They can help problem solve or provide direction for ministry related issues.

During my renewal leave, SPRB’s Renewal Leave Task Force helped to put into place wonderful systems and protocols for responding to possible issues and concerns. Please know that our Minister of Discipleship, Meina Ko, stands ready to be of service even as her main focus will be with the Chinese Ministry. You are
encouraged to connect with Meina through any of the 4 leaders named above.

As a side note, I will not be checking email or responding to phone messages throughout my renewal leave. I would appreciate it if you might hold onto any emails and send them upon my return. This will assure that I see and can respond to your email in a timely manner.

Each of you plays an important part to sustaining and growing this faithful community. I urge you to be in unity during this time, to practice extravagant generosity with one another, and to hold the church and our leadership in daily prayer. I also covet your prayers for myself. Please pray with me as I seek to nurture a
more grounded, more balanced, more whole, and more connected rhythm in my daily life. And I will certainly hold you in God’s great light.

Until we meet again, may God’s bubbling joy and far-fetched grace surround you and keep you.

Peace, Emily