Sunday, October 30, 2011

Treasures of the Transformed Life Stewardship Series



Week Three:  Jumping in With Both Feet
We are in the midst of a six week congregational study that promises to support us in identifying our thirst for more and to show us how to experience more as we take hold of the freedom, promise, and rewards that come with committing ourselves to a closer relationship with God through the treasures of prayer, presence, gifts, and service.  This week, Derek Lang reflects on the practice of presence.

“It’s worship. It’s not supposed to be fun,” was my immediate thought when one of our youth shared why he did not like going to Sunday worship service. Rick Warren’s book Purpose Driven Life came to mind as I thought about his response to others who say they do not go to worship because they do not get anything out of it. Some people think church is about meeting “my” needs, but John Ed Mathison reminds us that the church exists “to exalt Jesus Christ and to help us walk in his steps.” Sometimes we especially forget that the name of that activity we do on Sunday mornings is “worship,” where we worship God.

I struggled though as I thought about my response to the youth’s comment. It sounded terrible to say church (or worship) is not supposed to be fun. And in fact, I think God would be sad to hear us say that it is not. Is it really one or the other: fun or “exalting Jesus Christ and [learning to] walk in his steps?”? Can’t it be both? Shouldn’t it be both?

Why do I myself come to church? Maybe that is a good place to start.
¨ I value God in my life and showing up is one way I can show God is important to me. In fact, one of the best ways to show someone how valuable he/she is in our lives is to spend time with that person.
¨ I’m still trying to figure out (or practice) what it means to praise God (see last week’s article). In the meantime, whatever I have to say, maybe it’s good to say it in person.
¨ When I feel inadequate about what I can offer to a person, a situation, or in this case to God, I think about the Christmas story of the Little Drummer Boy.  It prompts the questions, “What can I offer from my heart is just being there?”
¨ When I think about why I became a member of the church and why others would become members, I think about my own desire to be part of something bigger and deeper.
¨ Coming to church refreshes me for the week to come. There is something about setting aside time to be present and focus on God that really is rejuvenating.
¨ I get a lot out of seeing the Sanctuary filled up. Maybe my presence does the same thing for someone else.

I have a lot of other reasons for coming the church. But as I look at this list, I notice that it is as much about making a commitment and giving as it is about building my own spiritual life and receiving. I guess it can be both. It is both.