Sunday, October 23, 2011

View from the EMC Chair

By Derek Lang


When I was in a relationship, I saw my girlfriend primarily on the weekends. She tried to call during the week to chat, but I told her that I really was uncomfortable talking for long periods over the phone. I felt the phone was for logistical purposes, not to chat. She responded with the question, “What was it going to be like if we got married? Shouldn’t we be able to talk to each other every day?” Needless to say, we did not get married. And although I am still not sure what married people talk about every day, I do think it is important to talk – even if it is on the phone. In retrospect, my attitude about those phone calls said a lot about me and my attitude about our relationship. Actually, it said volumes about my commitment and understanding of relationships (or lack thereof).

Prayer is our phone call to God. Our prayer lives say volumes about ourselves, our understanding of who God is, and what our relationship with God is. I will admit that I have always been weak when it comes to prayer.

I find myself starting my prayers with “Dear God.” The only other times I use “Dear…” are when I am writing a letter to someone distant. Isn’t God right here beside me?
When I pray, I often default to asking God for something. Is that who I think God is - just someone who grants wishes like a Genie in a bottle?
In prayer, I do a lot of talking. I don’t do a lot of listening.
One form of prayer called ACTS involves Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, and Supplication. I have trouble with the Adoration part. What does it mean to adore God? I often confuse adoration with thanking God for things. Maybe I need to learn how to praise/compliment God and others better.
When I pray in a group, I often feel pressure to say a “good” one – one that is uplifting to everyone else. Isn't prayer supposed to be just me having a conversation with God?
I once volunteered to participate in a prayer wheel for the Walk to Emmaus where I was supposed to pray for an entire hour for those doing the Walk. It was tough praying for a whole hour. I didn’t know what to talk about for that long. It was like talking with a stranger about superficial stuff and running out of things to talk about. Time should fly by if we are talking about deep and personal things with God.

I definitely have more growing to do when it comes to prayer. Being earnest and committed about prayer is being earnest and committed to my relationship with God. Prayer, i.e., listening and talking, is the first step to being a good disciple and a good steward.