Sunday, August 21, 2011

What Can God’s Love Do?

imageThe mission of the United Methodist Church is “to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.” In our Small Group Ministry, we have been practicing the discipline of sharing where we experience God in our lives. I have invited some of our congregation members to take the next step by answering the following question: "What is one thing you wish could be changed in the life of a specific person you know (you can keep the person anonymous) or the lives of a local group of people by that person or group experiencing the love of God or having faith in God?" The following article is another in our series. I pray that as we envision how wondrous it is to have God in our lives that we will be emboldened to share God with others because God can be that wonderful in their lives too.

Lichee Moments by Donna Chan Chu


I had a lichee moment. I'm sure man of you have had these moments. What is a moment? First what is lichee? Lichee is a little fruit that has hard, pokey skin. The skin is so hard and pokey that I would be afraid to be hit with one. It's also a little tricky to open. When you do get it open, it's so juicy that it gets messy. But once you get past the skin, the flesh is white and sweet tasting.

A lichee moment is to be around someone that makes you uncomfortable. Maybe in some way they offend you, they are so different than you or cause you to become afraid. Then you think about the lichee, peel away the outer layer-all the parts that make you uncomfortable and reveal the inside-the part that is good.

Riding public transportation gives me many opportunities to have a lichee moment. This week I made room for a man to sit down who smelled of weeks without a shower. I tried to have a conversation with him, but he was already in conversation with himself. I silently said a prayer for him. An African American male asked to change his five dollar bill. I knew I didn't have five ones, so I said no. To expose that I had any money on me is pretty scary. I knew I had at least two ones, so those two I offered to him. He looked confused, because why would he give me a five for two. I just gave him the two ones and
said he could help someone out later.

Lichee moments happen every day. I have to confess that I do not always act on my lichee moments. They slip away and I pray for them and for forgiveness in not being salt nor light.

Matthew 5:13-16
Let me tell you why you are here. You're here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? You've lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage.

Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers,
you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand-shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By
opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.