Sunday, July 8, 2012

Called to Be Witnesses – A Pentecost Practice


On Pentecost, Rev. Renae Extrum-Fernandez, reminded us of our call to be witnesses.  “You will be my witnesses,” said Jesus to his disciples before ascending into the heavens.  Being a witness is a key practice that supports our mission: to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.  Over the next 6 weeks, we will practice “witnessing” by simply sharing where we have recently seen or experienced God in our lives and how that has made a difference for us.  This week, we give thanks for the sharing of Adrienne Fong and Jonathan S.


Adrienne - Witnessing is kind of scary.  It’s not in my DNA to share openly. Since my sister reminds me that we need to practice to be better, I will be sharing today.


Recently I attended a memorial service for someone I really didn’t know, but I had met her at various social gatherings during the past several years. I didn’t know anything about her life or her family. As her children, relatives and friends reflected on her life with their memories, it brought back memories of my parents.


They reflected on what they will miss about her. They will miss her love for her family and friends, her crocheting and knitting projects, her likes and dislikes, her famous jook, her special desserts, her humor, her spoiling the grandkids, and the many family get-togethers. All this was also what I miss about my mother and it made me feel very sad for the family.  But, I also felt something very positive about the wonderful lives she touched. I experienced God’s presence that afternoon as I listened to people express that they wanted to carry on the love, inspirations, and kindness they saw and received from this one person. This experience reinforces that one person can make a difference in many lives and it reminded me that my mother and father made a difference my life.  I will try harder to go out of my comfort zone to share God’s love through life experiences with family, friends and others.


Jonathan S. - I have experienced God in believing that he has good things in store for me. I thank him for all the people he has sent to encourage me. As I try to focus on piano and philosophy I sense God in my frustrations teaching me to live day to day with what I am given. Also I am questioning what I believe. God gives me hope that he has a faith for me that will give me inspiration if I listen. God also gives me hope to find love someday and to ask him what I have to do to be worthy of a great relationship. Slowly I feel that God's way is best and I 
want to extend his love to everyone.


I would like to comment on how I am trying to bring more of God's grace into my life. I am doing the practice from Sunday school of getting lost. I don't know if it is showing the most faith, but I try to accept that I am not certain of the way, I am not alone, and God and people will find me.