Sunday, July 22, 2012

Called to Be Witnesses – A Pentecost Practice


On Pentecost, Rev. Renae Extrum-Fernandez, reminded us of our call to be witnesses.  “You will be my witnesses,” said Jesus to his disciples before ascending into the heavens.  Being a witness is a key practice that supports our mission: to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.  Over the next 6 weeks, we will practice “witnessing” by simply sharing where we have recently seen or experienced God in our lives and how that has made a difference for us.  This week, we give thanks for the sharing of Wendy Lee.





A Letter to CCUMC—The Apostle Wendy
I think it is always interesting the way a person changes and adapts to their environment; it's even more interesting when you see the change manifest in yourself.


You know, just reflecting on this past year, I feel like I've done a lot of growing in my walk of faith. And it is so exciting watching myself mature before my eyes. Witnessing myself defend my own faith, inviting others into thought-provoking conversations about faith, praying with my heart, mind, and soul, appreciating God's jaw-dropping creations in silence and stillness — in a mouth-full, is really just me scratching the surface on the ways I have grown.   Yes, I have been so blessed.


I think college is like a hide-and-seek game for Christians. People either go nuts at the sense of "libration" and hide from God, or they purely and wholly seek God, taking off the training-wheels. And by the Grace of God, I am proud to say I lean more towards the seeking direction. Yes, I have been so blessed.


You know what's funny though, the expectations people get coming back to a certain environment, how they automatically presume that everyone else will be exactly the same in behavior and will have grown to seek God in the same way they have. By doing that they are only setting themselves up for the opportunity of disappointment. I think people (and by that, I am really just addressing myself) feel entitled for everyone else around them to adapt to their change, rather than feeling the necessary needs of adapting to everyone else’s change. And so, that disappointment kicks into bitterness.  Yes, this is me indirectly saying, I've been bitter for awhile now. BUT, there's a happy ending to this little reading.


You see, I know that God has a plan for everyone, but I have trouble understanding that. I don't understand how people can fall so hard for earthly desires; I mean, we all do it. But why? Because I think we can all agree that Lifesaving Love beats pretty much anything, yes? Yet, our actions say otherwise. I don't understand it! But, by the Grace of God, I know He has plan for everyone.


Now, knowing is way more secure than thinking. And by knowing Jeremiah 29:11, my bitterness has blossomed into an anticipation for both myself and others. Because God knows the plans He has for all of us, and on top of that I bet you He fully understands it too.



So, because I believe in what our Lord declares, I have to accept changes in others that I do not necessarily approve of. What that means is that people do not go according to what Little Miss Wendy has planned for them, but rather what God has. (And thank God for it, right?) And by the Grace of God I am still learning and growing even amidst it all; I'm sure you are too. Yes, we are so Blessed.