Sunday, July 15, 2012

Called to Be Witnesses – A Pentecost Practice



On Pentecost, Rev. Renae Extrum-Fernandez, reminded us of our call to be witnesses.  “You will be my witnesses,” said Jesus to his disciples before ascending into the heavens.  Being a witness is a key practice that supports our mission: to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.  Over the next 6 weeks, we will practice “witnessing” by simply sharing where we have recently seen or experienced God in our lives and how that has made a difference for us.  This week, we give thanks for the sharing of Arlene Lang and Peggy Woon.



Arlene - I reflect on the loss of my mother. As all of us at one time or another will tend to the growing needs of our aging parent’(s) care, I saw God's Grace in the loving care we were able to provide for my mother. She had such a loving son-in law who took on much responsibility for her care and loved her like his own mother. Ed & I had many concerns on how to take care of her. She did not want to live in a Senior facility, she wanted to live in her own home. God answered our prayers. He provided us with all the answers, really miracles now that I reflect back. She was able to continue to live in her home and was given the best of care from a loving caretaker until her death. It is with wonder and awe that I see God's Grace provide us with all the answers to our prayers. It has made my faith that much stronger and no fear of what is to come. God will always be with me to guide me through all the good times and bad times. God has always given me much to be thankful for.


Peggy - I experience seeing God whenever I see Donna (Chan Chu) come into the sanctuary armed with props, or wearing a costume. I am filled with anticipation; waiting to see and hear how God had spoken to her and then to see and hear the response from all the people who are there to share her gifts.


Just last month, Donna tap-danced into our hearts. Imagine that! TapDancing and Witnessing!   I was enthralled, and I’m sure everyone watching was too!  In the past, she has come dressed in “construction” clothing to talk about the YCVM mission; in an apron and carrying a huge pot to promote our Soup Sundays; or in “farm” clothing to inspire Adventure in Faith’s “Growing” theme.


Even with the simplest props, Donna is able to share a message. I remember the time when Donna held up an artichoke and a glass of water, tying these items to her love for God and her love for her Dad. I remember her saying that water is especially sweet after eating an artichoke; and somehow, I walked away with the feeling that through loving God, my life would be sweeter. It has been maybe 10 years since this artichoke talk (a Children’s Sermon, maybe?), but I experienced God then, just as I did last month when Donna tapdanced.